For more than half a decade, Home Depot has been the leader of the do-it-yourself, cheap home improvement retail industry (and the second largest retailer overall behind Walmart). To hammer that message home to consumers, the company used a simple slogan, “You can do it. We can help.” It was inspirational. During a time when everyone and their brother was watching HGTV and more home remodeling and redecorating programs on television than any sane person had time for, the slogan worked very well. Consumers heard it and said to themselves, “you know what? I can do it! I’m going to Home Depot.”
Usher in 2009, a time when the economy is no where near turning around, unemployment is up, and remodeling your kitchen is at the bottom of the priority list. Time for a new slogan for Home Depot!
The new Home Depot tagline is just as simple as the previous iteration but it focuses more on saving money and less on inspiration. What is the new slogan? Drum roll please…
“More saving. More doing.”
Frankly, as a consumer, I like the “more saving” part, but I don’t like the “more doing” part. Just because the economy is in the toilet doesn’t mean I want to do more work. How about, “More saving. Easier doing”? I don’t like that either, but at least it combines my two biggest motivators these days — leaving more money in my wallet, and giving me more time to do far more important things than install laminate flooring.
What do you think about the new Home Depot tagline? Will it get the job done and motivate consumers to go buy some crown molding?
Latest posts by Susan Gunelius (see all)
- Black Friday and Cyber Monday Brand Marketing Must Shift with Consumer Behaviors - November 11, 2014
- Nearly 9 out of 10 of the Top 100 Global Brands are on Instagram - November 6, 2014
- IAB Takes Another Step Toward Standardizing Selling and Buying of Premium Online Ad Inventory - November 4, 2014
- Agile Executives Drive 25% Higher Profit Margins – Is Your CMO Agile? - October 31, 2014
- Email Marketing Open Rates are on the Rise - October 29, 2014