Creative Review magazine is asking its readers in over 80 countries to help them put together a list of the greatest logos of all time, which will be provided to a group of designers, experts, and academics who will narrow the list down to the 20 greatest logos ever. Those logos will be revealed in the April 2011 issue of Creative Review. You can add your votes for the best logo ever by leaving a comment on Creative Review or on Brand New.
The quest to identify the best logos of all time launched publicly this week, and already hundreds of people have added comments offering their opinions. Some of the top contenders from the population at large appear to be Nike, Apple, Coca-Cola, McDonald’s FedEx, Playboy and The Rolling Stones.
Of course, identifying the best logo is somewhat subjective, and well-known logos from big brands typically take the top spots in these types of ratings. However, it’s still a fun initiative. I’d love to see the top 20 list broken down into three separate lists though — top 20 logos overall, top 20 big name logos, and top 20 lesser-known logos. I think it’s more fun to find the diamonds in the rough — those logos the wider population might never see and the designs that don’t get the widespread recognition they deserve.
The logos that are getting an early buzz have a couple of elements in common, which I think are marks of the best, iconic logos — those that can stand the test of time. They are simple, and they use limited color palettes — one or two colors and that’s it.
Which logos do you think are the best ever and what do you think are the key elements of iconic logos? Leave a comment and share your thoughts, and don’t forget to add your votes on Creative Review.
Read more about logo design on Corporate Eye:
- Put Your Logo Through the One-Color Test
- History of the Apple Logo and Lessons Learned
- History of the IBM Logo – Is It Time for a Redesign?
- Most Relevant Brand Identity Work of the Decade
Latest posts by Susan Gunelius (see all)
- Coca-Cola Contour Bottle Turns 100 This Year - March 3, 2015
- World’s 50 Most Popular Brands - February 25, 2015
- Brands with the Most Loyal Customers in 2015 - February 18, 2015
- The World’s 50 Most Innovative Companies in 2015 - February 14, 2015
- UK Consumers Will Share Private Data with Brands Under Certain Conditions - February 4, 2015