Only two of the brands in the top ten for the holiday week saw a decline in check-ins from the prior week. Of the top ten retail brand check-ins on foursquare during that week, three were food and beverage chains and 7 were consumer products and electronics retailers. Interestingly, it was the food and beverage brands that saw a decline in foursquare check-ins while all consumer products and electronics retailers saw increases in check-ins (as much as a 25% increase for Macy’s).
You can see the breakdown of the top 10 retail brands for foursquare check-ins below:
- Starbucks = 139,226 check-ins during the week
- Target = 48,611 check-ins during the week
- McDonald’s = 48,264 check-ins during the week
- Walmart = 43,467 check-ins during the week
- Best Buy = 25,029 check-ins during the week
- Apple = 20,570 check-ins during the week
- Costco = 13,834 check-ins during the week
- Barnes & Noble = 11,038 check-ins during the week
- Macy’s = 10,418 check-ins during the week
- Burger King = 9,792 check-ins during the week
Earlier this year, Starbucks was the first retailer to partner with foursquare to offer a national program where local check-ins can earn users “mayor” status, which they can use across the United States. And in October, Starbucks launched its new Digital Network in stores that offers content (including foursquare check-ins and more) aimed to enhance the in-store experience for customers. With nearly three times as many check-ins during a single week as the next closest brand, Starbucks is doing something right with foursquare as far as its customers are concerned.
Location-based marketing offered through tools like foursquare are hot right now, but the recipes for success are still unknown. As your brand looks to implement geo-targeting and mobile marketing initiatives, check out what the ten brands listed above are doing. You’ll undoubtedly learn from them.
What are your company’s plans for location-based and mobile marketing in 2011? Leave a comment and share your thoughts on these opportunities for the new year.
Latest posts by Susan Gunelius (see all)
- Video Ad Sharing Has Increased 50 Times in Eight Years - December 4, 2013
- Tumblr Launches New Mobile Advertising Opportunity for Brands - December 4, 2013
- Attention Brands: U.K. Is the Most Social Country in the World - November 30, 2013
- Consumers Want Entertaining Brand Videos - November 27, 2013
- 1 out of 2 Marketers Believe in Multi-screen Advertising but Only 1 in 4 Have Done It - November 25, 2013