According to a new report by Forrester, the social web has become mainstream in the United States. In fact, it’s grown to be commonplace with more than 75% of Internet users actively participating in some form of social media in 2008. That’s up from 56% in 2007. If you were wondering whether or not your brand should have a presence in social media, it looks like the proof is in the numbers.
Of course, some social web participants are far more active than others, and the trick is finding active social web users to act as brand advocates and word-of-mouth influencers to give your brand a boost. However, the first step is to get a social web presence for your brand, if you don’t already have one.
Check out some of the interesting statistics from the Forrester report as published on Brandweek:
- The number of “spectators” (passive participants, reading blogs, etc.) in the social web grew from 48% in 2007 to 69% in 2008.
- The number of “critics” (writing reviews, etc.) grew from 25% to 37%.
- The number of “collectors” (reading RSS feeds, tagging online content, etc.) grew to 19% (12% above 2007 results).
- Blog or personal website publishers (i.e., content creators) grew from 18% to 21%.
- Blogging alone grew by 10%.
- Starting a social network profile grew by 39%.
- 48% of respondents have read a blog (up nearly 50% from 2007).
- The age gap on the social web is narrowing. Participation is still dominated by younger users, but use among 35-44 year-olds is growing rapidly, particularly among “critics”, “joiners” and “spectators”.
The social web is a great place to develop a relationship with consumers, and relationship brands are extremely powerful. The typically enjoy strong customer loyalty, word of mouth marketing and sales. Are you using the social web to give your brand a boost? Leave a comment and share the tactics you’re using. If you’re not using the social web, leave a comment and share the barriers you’re facing.
Latest posts by Susan Gunelius (see all)
- Coca-Cola Contour Bottle Turns 100 This Year - March 3, 2015
- World’s 50 Most Popular Brands - February 25, 2015
- Brands with the Most Loyal Customers in 2015 - February 18, 2015
- The World’s 50 Most Innovative Companies in 2015 - February 14, 2015
- UK Consumers Will Share Private Data with Brands Under Certain Conditions - February 4, 2015