Research from Buddy Media released this month and reported by eMarketer offers insight into how to increase engagement with Facebook users. The study provides interesting statistics for brand managers based on when, what and how to publish content on the most popular social networking site in the world.
According to a small study, the highest user engagement with posts published by brands happens before and after traditional work hours rather than during work hours when most brands actually publish content on Facebook. Since a big part of social media marketing success via Facebook is getting people to read your content, posting updates when fans are more likely to be using Facebook and see your updates in their news feeds is critical.
Following are several findings from the study related to Facebook use by brands and user engagement with those brands:
- Time: Companies experience a 20% increase in engagement when they publish Facebook posts outside business hours–before 10:00 a.m. and after 4:00 p.m.
- Day: Engagement rates are 18% higher on Thursdays and Fridays than any other days. Saturday is the worst day to post with a 18% decrease in engagement reported on that day.
- Length: Shorter is better with posts of 80 characters or fewer experiencing a 27% lift in engagement rates.
- Type: Posts that end with a question see a 15% increase in engagement. Including instructions such as “like,” “post,” and “comment” also helps to boost engagement.
The trick to using Facebook for brand marketing is to consistently provide succinct, great content and conversations that your customers want and need. That doesn’t just happen on Monday through Friday during normal business hours. However, it doesn’t mean that you have to publish content continuously throughout the day, every day. Too much information quickly turns into noise and clutter. Spread your brand Facebook updates out to a few times per day and at different times during the day to reach and engage with the widest audience. This is particularly important if yours is an international brand or your customers can be found in multiple time zones.
Latest posts by Susan Gunelius (see all)
- Coca-Cola Contour Bottle Turns 100 This Year - March 3, 2015
- World’s 50 Most Popular Brands - February 25, 2015
- Brands with the Most Loyal Customers in 2015 - February 18, 2015
- The World’s 50 Most Innovative Companies in 2015 - February 14, 2015
- UK Consumers Will Share Private Data with Brands Under Certain Conditions - February 4, 2015