It is predicted that by the end of 2015, more than half of the population in the United Kingdom will access the mobile internet. That’s according to a study by eMarketer, which also reports that 18% of the U.K. smartphone user population have purchased goods or services using their mobile devices. In other words, brands need to have a plan in place to connect with mobile shoppers in the U.K., and brands need to make it easy for them to make purchases from their smartphones and tablets.
According to comScore, purchasing goods and services using a smartphone ranked as the second most mentioned activity performed by U.K. smartphone users in a July 2012 study (18%). Coming in first was finding store locations (24%). 16% of survey respondents had compared product prices, researched product features, and made shopping lists using their smartphones. Finding coupons or deals was mentioned by 15% of U.K. smartphone users, and 14% had checked product availability using their smartphones. Interestingly, eMarketer reports that in August 2011, making purchases using smartphones didn’t make it into the top 10 mobile activities for U.K. smartphone owners.
As you develop your brand’s mobile presence, keep the following in mind:
- The U.K. mobile shopper audience still skews male (55%).
- The U.K. mobile shopper audience skews middle income (more than half of mobile shoppers reported incomes between $24,193 and $72,850).
- Over half of mobile shoppers in the U.K. are between the ages of 25-44 (29% between 25-34 and 23% between 35-44) with another 19% falling in the 18-24 age bracket.
- Nearly 50% of mobile purchases cost between $33 and $161.
Now is the time to start researching your brand’s mobile audience to gain a better understanding of how you can offer mobile brand experiences that turn into mobile brand purchases. The move toward m-commerce from e-commerce isn’t going to slow down, and your brand needs to be mobile sooner rather than later.
Image: Sean MacEntee
Latest posts by Susan Gunelius (see all)
- Coca-Cola Contour Bottle Turns 100 This Year - March 3, 2015
- World’s 50 Most Popular Brands - February 25, 2015
- Brands with the Most Loyal Customers in 2015 - February 18, 2015
- The World’s 50 Most Innovative Companies in 2015 - February 14, 2015
- UK Consumers Will Share Private Data with Brands Under Certain Conditions - February 4, 2015