The Emmy Award-winning AMC series, “Mad Men,” tells the story of an ad agency in the 1960s. As you might expect in a television program about an advertising agency, each episode includes multiple mentions of real, fictitious and defunct brands. On Monday, Joyce Julius & Associates published a press release detailing research into those brand mentions, and the results are very interesting.
According to the research, the fourth season of “Mad Men” included 13 episodes and a total of 225 brand mentions. 74 brands (not including the fictitious and defunct brands) were included in that tally with several getting multiple mentions across more than one episode.
You can see the list of brands with the most frequent mentions below:
- Clearasil: 12 mentions in 3 episodes for a total exposure value of $160,000
- Honda: 10 mentions in 1 episode for a total exposure value of $133,335
- Life Cereal: 14 mentions in 3 episodes for a total exposure value of $186,665
- Lucky Strike: 27 mentions in 8 episodes for a total exposure value of $360,000
- Ponds: 16 mentions in 4 episodes for a total exposure value of $213,335
- Samsonite: 14 mentions in 4 episodes for a total exposure value of $186,665
- Vicks Chemical: 11 mentions in 6 episodes for a total exposure value of $146,665
You can follow the link to see the complete list of brand mentions by episode.
Joyce Julius & Associates estimates that the total exposure value of the 225 brand mentions during the fourth season on “Mad Men” equates to a over $3 million (determined in comparison to the cost of traditional advertising to reach the same audience). That’s a lot of free exposure!
Not only do brand mentions on television shows equate to exposure value without investment but the growth of online video and long-form online video opens the doors even wider for brand mentions. The key to success is allowing these brand mentions to happen, so more people hear about and talk about your brand.
What do you think? Leave a comment and share your thoughts.
Latest posts by Susan Gunelius (see all)
- Coca-Cola Contour Bottle Turns 100 This Year - March 3, 2015
- World’s 50 Most Popular Brands - February 25, 2015
- Brands with the Most Loyal Customers in 2015 - February 18, 2015
- The World’s 50 Most Innovative Companies in 2015 - February 14, 2015
- UK Consumers Will Share Private Data with Brands Under Certain Conditions - February 4, 2015