As a follow up to my previous posts about branding and the Olympic Games (Consumers Cannot Identify Olympics Brand Sponsors and Brands Sponsor Athletes from Great Britain at 2012 Olympics), I thought it’s a good time to talk about the Olympics brand. How well do people really know the Olympics brand? Market research company Lab42 surveyed 500 social media users from the United States to get some answers.
Not only did Lab42 share the survey results in a great infographic (shown below), but the company also re-purposed the content and turned it into a London Games 2012 pinboard on Pinterest with each fact pinned to the pinboard. It’s a great example of repurposing content to extend its reach as part of your brand content marketing plan!
Now, back to the Olympics brand. According to the survey, the Olympics has no trouble with brand awareness, but some of the specifics about the brand are fuzzy to Americans. Here are some findings from the study:
- 95% have watched the Olympics.
- 93% plan to watch the 2012 Olympic Games in London.
- 87% are more likely to watch the 2012 Olympic Games than the U.S. Presidential Debates.
- 84% knew before the Olympics began that they would be held in London this year.
- 56% know that orange is not a color used in the Olympic Rings logo.
- 30% know that Olympiad means 4 year time period.
- 64% know that the Olympics have been canceled in the past (5 times during World War I and World War II).
Another interesting finding shows the power of celebrity brands. 97% of respondents to the Lab42 survey know that Michael Phelps competes on the United States swimming team, and 77% know that he is a spokesperson for the Subway restaurant brand. Given how few people know which brands sponsor the 2012 Olympics, the fact that more than 3 out of 4 know Michael Phelps is associated with the Subway brand is impressive.
You can see all the data on the infographic below. Did you know there are 302 events at the 2012 Olympic Games in London?
Latest posts by Susan Gunelius (see all)
- Coca-Cola Contour Bottle Turns 100 This Year - March 3, 2015
- World’s 50 Most Popular Brands - February 25, 2015
- Brands with the Most Loyal Customers in 2015 - February 18, 2015
- The World’s 50 Most Innovative Companies in 2015 - February 14, 2015
- UK Consumers Will Share Private Data with Brands Under Certain Conditions - February 4, 2015