Earlier this week, I wrote a post about an infographic that visually displays a great deal of information about how color affects purchase decisions. Today, I want to share another infographic, which was created by the same company, KissMetrics. This infographic visually displays color preferences by gender and how the color and gender relationship affects marketing and branding.
Following are some of the highlights from the infographic related to gender and color preferences:
- Blue, red and green are universally liked by men and women with blue taking the top spot.
- Orange and brown are universally disliked by men and women.
- While women love purple, men absolutely do not like purple.
- Orange and yellow are perceived as cheap colors.
- Men are more accepting of black, gray and white than women.
- Women are drawn a bit more to pale colors while men are drawn a bit more to bright colors.
- Women are more specific when it comes to colors with an eye for the slightest color changes and names to match. For example, green could be called moss, pea, citrus, and so on, but to men, they’re all just green.
You can click on the image below to view the infographic at a larger size.
I actually laughed as I read through this infographic, because it brought to mind some real world situations. For example, I remember one time when I had a male boss who absolutely abhorred the color purple. Nothing we created for the brand could have any purple on it at all! I also remember several times debating the specifics of a color with my husband (we’ll use blue for the purposes of this example) and his response to me was always, “they’re all blue to me.”
Color can create a distinct and subconscious response in people and that reaction can vary by gender. Make sure you consider how color affects your target audience before you choose colors for your brand identity, packaging, and so on. It’s a decision that can have a huge impact on your results.
What do you think? Leave a comment and share your opinion.
Latest posts by Susan Gunelius (see all)
- Coca-Cola Contour Bottle Turns 100 This Year - March 3, 2015
- World’s 50 Most Popular Brands - February 25, 2015
- Brands with the Most Loyal Customers in 2015 - February 18, 2015
- The World’s 50 Most Innovative Companies in 2015 - February 14, 2015
- UK Consumers Will Share Private Data with Brands Under Certain Conditions - February 4, 2015