In a new infographic, SocialBakers visually explains the opportunity that Facebook offers brands to connect with a global audience, particularly in emerging markets. According to the data in the infographic, of the 901 million Facebook users, only 157 million are located in the United States.
That means 83% of the people who use Facebook are not from the United States. They’re from countries around the world, which makes Facebook a truly global online destination that brands want to turn into sales opportunities.
Here is a breakdown of the ten countries with the most Facebook members:
- United States: 157 million people (51% population penetration)
- Brazil: 47 million people (23% population penetration)
- India: 46 million people (4% population penetration)
- Indonesia: 42 million people (17% population penetration)
- Mexico: 33 million people (19% population penetration)
- United Kingdom: 31 million people (49% population penetration)
- Turkey: 31 million people (39% population penetration)
- Philippines: 27 million people (27% population penetration)
- France: 24 million people (38% population penetration)
- Germany: 24 million people (29% population penetration)
The top brands on Facebook vary from one country to the next as you can see in the infographic pictured below.
Popular brands on Facebook that are successfully engaging consumers, as depicted in this infographic, come from a variety of categories. The apparel, technology, food and beverage, and automotive categories are the most prevalent, but this diversity shows that your brand doesn’t have to operate in a specific category, local market, or niche to successfully engage consumers on Facebook. If a 2011 study by SocialCode is correct, and each Facebook Page fan can be valued at $9.56, the top brands on Facebook are going to reap the rewards of their social media efforts.
It’s also interesting to compare the top ten list from this infographic to similar lists from prior years. In 2011, Ignite Social Media put together a list of the top 50 branded Facebook pages. Back in 2010, Visibli put together a list of the most engaging brands on Facebook while TheNextWeb.com compiled a list of 28 branded Facebook Pages with the most likes. Take a look at those lists and you’ll see some of the same brands that appear on the infographic from SocialBakers for 2012.
Facebook is available in 70 languages, and as the SocialBakers infographic shows, global use of Facebook keeps on growing. Which brands do you think are the most engaging on Facebook? Are you using Facebook to increase the global reach of your brand? Leave a comment and share your thoughts.
Image: Marco Paköeningrat
Latest posts by Susan Gunelius (see all)
- The Ups and Downs of Social Media Advertising for Brands - March 8, 2014
- Do Your Employees Buy Your Brand? - March 5, 2014
- Email Marketing Keeps on Growing with Coupons Taking Center Stage - March 4, 2014
- 5 Hats of a Social Leader - March 1, 2014
- 9 out of 10 Consumers Say Access to Content When and How They Want It Is Important - February 26, 2014