The Fitch 2012 Joy of Shopping study reveals that 54% of shoppers prefer to do their shopping in brick-and-mortar stores over any other channel. 50% of respondents to the global survey indicated that they prefer to shop on the web. Both channels rate significantly higher than mobile app shopping (13%) and social media shopping (7%).
However, there are some regional differences in consumers’ preferred shopping channels. Internet shopping is far more popular in emerging markets like China and Brazil than it is in mature markets. Furthermore, while the Chinese are the happiest and most enthusiastic shoppers (55%), Brits are the most unhappy shoppers in the world. Only 21% of British respondents to the Fitch survey claimed that they enjoy shopping.
Differences were also found in enthusiasm levels for specific categories. For example, the highest levels of enthusiasm were found in the electronics category where 83% of respondents overall are either very enthusiastic about shopping for electronics products (43%) or at least enjoy the electronics shopping experience (40%). Fashion is another category that consumers enjoy shopping for. 89.3% of respondents to the Fitch survey overall claimed they were very enthusiastic about shopping for fashion products (37.4%) or at least enjoy shopping in the fashion category (51.9%). Grocery shopping ranks a bit lower with 85.3% of respondents overall stating they are very enthusiastic about shopping for groceries (39.0%) or at least they enjoy grocery shopping (46.3%).
Fitch offers some suggestions for increasing retail shopping satisfaction and enthusiasm levels to help businesses succeed in the future:
- Don’t underestimate your customers’ enthusiasm for shopping and going to stores.
- Rethink how you define and measure success and deliver shopping experiences that lead to happier customers.
- Play to new differentiators by appealing to consumers’ exploring and dreaming mindsets rather than just the locating mindset that often happens after the purchase decision has been made.
- Don’t think off- or online. Think seamless.
You can read the complete report here.
Latest posts by Susan Gunelius (see all)
- Coca-Cola Contour Bottle Turns 100 This Year - March 3, 2015
- World’s 50 Most Popular Brands - February 25, 2015
- Brands with the Most Loyal Customers in 2015 - February 18, 2015
- The World’s 50 Most Innovative Companies in 2015 - February 14, 2015
- UK Consumers Will Share Private Data with Brands Under Certain Conditions - February 4, 2015