Online advertising is where it’s at for many brands and companies, but click-thru rates are typically less than 0.1%. Knowing there was more value to online advertising than click-thru rates, comScore developed its Brand Metrix norms database, which is used to measure the “view-thru” rates of online advertising.
In short, just because a person doesn’t click on an online ad when they see it, doesn’t mean it hasn’t had some kind of effect on that person’s future behavior. The comScore Brand Metrix was created to measure that added value to online advertising, and it shows that online ad exposure is undervalued by 20% or more when only click-thru rate is used to determine the impact of an online ad.
Check out some of the statistics from the comScore Brand Metrix below, which show the impact of online ad view-thru rates on consumer behavior:
- Sales lift: 27% for online sales and 17% for offline sales
- Advertiser’s site visitation lift: 65% in the week following first ad exposure and 46% in weeks 1-4 after first ad exposure
- Advertiser’s branded trademark search lift: 52% in the week following first ad exposure and 38% in weeks 1-4 after first ad exposure
Based on these findings from the comScore Brand Metrix, online search advertising view-thru rate is a critical piece to the online advertising strategy puzzle. If these statistics are accurate, then the value of online advertising is much greater than anyone thought (or at least greater than what marketers could convince the executive team of when asking for a bigger online marketing budget).
Next time you head into a meeting with the execs to set your online marketing budget, bring the statistics from the comScore Brand Metrix with you. Finally, you’ll have something to point to that quantifies the value of online advertising in a way other than click-thru rate.
Latest posts by Susan Gunelius (see all)
- Coca-Cola Contour Bottle Turns 100 This Year - March 3, 2015
- World’s 50 Most Popular Brands - February 25, 2015
- Brands with the Most Loyal Customers in 2015 - February 18, 2015
- The World’s 50 Most Innovative Companies in 2015 - February 14, 2015
- UK Consumers Will Share Private Data with Brands Under Certain Conditions - February 4, 2015